If you’re like me, when it comes to making dinner you just want something easy and uncomplicated.
I spend a lot of my free time on Pinterest trying to come up with different things to make, and sure, there are a LOT of great ideas in Pinterest-land. But they’re not always easily executed and often at least require a trip to the grocery store, if not a lot of preparation.
So, I’ve had to come up with some old stand bys — recipes that never go out of style and are always good. One of my favorites is a breaded chicken recipe that I came up with myself.
Now, I’m sure you’re saying, “but it’s breaded chicken…how hard could it be? And how much creativity does that take?”
Well, in a way you’re right. But at the same time breaded chicken has its issues too — it can be bland, soggy, and (worst of all) exit the pan breading-less.
Luckily, I’ve perfected my version of breaded chicken. The secret is in the breading.
Here’s the recipe:
Cheesy Breaded Chicken
Makes: 4 chicken breasts
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup regular, seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese (or whatever shredded cheese you have)
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- ground black pepper
- Italian seasoning (oregano, thyme, basil)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 Large skillet
- 1 glass or ceramic baking dish
- Aluminum foil
- 2 large shallow bowls
1. In one of the shallow bowls, crack the egg. Add a small amount of water to the egg and scramble it. Set the bowl aside.
2. Take the skillet and place it on the stove. Add a small amount of olive oil to the bottom of the pan — enough that the entire bottom of the pan is lightly coated. Turn the burner on to medium high heat and allow the pan to heat while you prepare the bread crumb mixture.
3. In the second shallow bowl, mix the Panko breadcrumbs and the regular bread crumbs together. Season to your preference with the garlic powder, ground black pepper, and Italian seasoning.
4. Once the bread crumbs and seasonings are mixed, add the shredded cheese and mix it thoroughly with the bread crumbs.
5. Now that the bread crumbs are mixed, the pan should be thoroughly heated and you can start breading the chicken breasts.
6. Using a fork (or your fingers), thoroughly coat each piece of chicken in the egg wash and then place it into the bowl with the breading mixture. Thoroughly bread each piece of chicken and lightly press the breading mixture into the surface of the chicken breasts so that they are adequately covered.
7. Place each piece of chicken into the skillet and reduce the heat slightly.
8. Cook the chicken for approximately 5 minutes on each side or until the chicken breasts are brown and crispy.
9. Spray the baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and turn on the oven to 350 degrees.
10. Place the chicken breasts into the baking dish, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 25 minutes.
11. Remove from the oven, serve, and enjoy!
These breaded chicken breasts are amazing and so easy to make. They go great with a simple side dish and a vegetable, and are great as leftovers the next day too!
Let me know how they turn out if you decide to make them!